Juicy grilled chicken breasts are infused with a mouthwatering blend of tangy, smoky, sweet and lightly spicy flavors. This Tequila Lime Chicken is hands down one of our favorite dinner ideas!
We love to serve this chicken on top of Cilantro Lime Rice, topped with my Easy Homemade Guacamole and of course my Ultimate Skinny Margarita to wash it all down.
Meet Your New Favorite Grilled Chicken Recipe
I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve been asked how to cook flavorful chicken. Every time this question comes my way, my response is the same – it’s all about the marinade! Even when chicken spends just a few minutes in a sumptuous medley of seasonings, it comes out more delightful.
Now imagine what will happen when the chicken soaks for longer! Not only does the marinade infuse your chicken with flavor, but it also makes it way more tender and juicy. The drool-worthy marinade in this recipe gets the job done in 20 minutes.
Tequila lime chicken – also known as margarita chicken – may be the most flavorful chicken of all. It’s loaded with zesty, sweet and smoky goodness, plus a touch of heat. Once it starts searing to perfection, everyone’s gonna line up by the grill! This recipe is definitely tied with my spice rub grilled chicken for our favorite summer grilling idea.
What You’ll Need
It’s time to stop stressing over bland chicken! Round up these ingredients and flip the script.
- Chicken Breasts: I use boneless, skinless breasts for this recipe. Feel free to use what you like, but keep in mind that bone-in chicken takes longer to cook.
- Tequila: Don’t forget that the alcohol in the marinade will cause a flare-up when you first put the chicken on the grill. Take precautions!
- Fresh Lime Juice: Try popping your lime into the microwave for 15-20 seconds before you squeeze it – this breaks open the juice capsules to give you more bang for your buck.
- Fresh Lime Zest: Remember to zest the lime before you squeeze it.
- Garlic Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Ancho Chili Powder: This kind of chili powder has a mild heat, so it’s generally safe for people who aren’t used to spicy food.
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper: To taste.
How to Make Tequila Lime Grilled Chicken
Feeling hungry yet? Here’s all you have to do:
Make Marinade: Add all of the marinade ingredients (everything but the chicken) to a small bowl. Whisk until everything is combined.
Marinate Chicken: Transfer the chicken breasts to a large Ziploc bag or a container with an airtight lid. Pour the marinade over the chicken and seal the bag/container. Let the chicken marinate for at least 20 minutes.
Heat Grill: Preheat the grill to medium heat.
Cook Chicken: Place the marinated chicken onto the heated grill. WARNING: there’s tequila in the marinade so it’s going to flare up as soon as you put it on the grill. Grill each side.
Let Rest: Remove your tequila lime chicken from the grill and let it rest before you slice it. Garnish the chicken with cilantro and lime wedges if desired.
Tips for the Best Results
You need a little bit more than a stellar marinade to make perfect grilled chicken. Hear me out!
- Grill Responsibly: I know I’ve said it twice already, but it’s super important to note that alcohol causes flare-ups. Whenever you’re cooking with a marinade that contains it, be extra careful to avoid burning yourself. I strongly suggest using tongs to place your chicken onto the grill (and to flip it and remove it!).
- Don’t Go Overboard: You may be tempted to marinate your chicken for an extended period of time in the hopes of achieving even more flavor. Since there’s lime juice in the marinade, this is not a good idea. After a while, the acidity of the citrus juice will start to make the chicken rubbery rather than tender. Avoid marinating it for longer than 3 hours.
- Let the Chicken Rest: Don’t cut into your tequila lime grilled chicken until it’s had a change to sit for at least 5 minutes. This helps ensure juiciness in every bite.
- How Do I Know When My Chicken is Done? Good question! I like to use an instant read meat thermometer to check the doneness of my chicken. Once it registers at 165°F, it’s good to go. You could even remove it from the grill at 164°F as the chicken will continue to cook for a moment.
Whether you’re attending a barbecue or cooking for your family at home, every entree could use a side dish to complement it. You can’t go wrong with the following examples.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
After it has cooled completely, leftover chicken should be refrigerated in an airtight container. Enjoy it within 2-3 days. Reheat the chicken over medium-low or medium heat until it reaches 165°F, about 5-6 minutes per side.
Can I Freeze Grilled Chicken Breasts?
Easily! Wrap each cooled chicken breast in plastic wrap and freeze them in a heavy-duty storage bag for up to 4 months. Thaw them out in the fridge overnight before you reheat them.
More Flavorful Grilling Recipes
Looking for more ways to make use of your grill this summer? I hear you loud and clear.
Juicy grilled chicken breasts are infused with a mouthwatering blend of tangy, smoky, sweet and lightly spicy flavors. Tequila Lime Chicken is Southwestern cuisine at its finest!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup tequila
- juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons lime zest
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- salt & pepper to season
- Make Marinade: To a small bowl add tequila, lime juice, lime zest, garlic powder, cumin, honey, smoked paprika, ancho chili powder, salt, pepper and olive oil. Whisk to combine.
- Marinate Chicken: To a large ziplock bag add chicken breasts. Pour marinade over the chicken breast and seal. Let chicken marinate for at least 20 minutes
- Heat grill to medium heat, about 350-375°F.
- Place marinated chicken on the grill. WARNING: there is tequila in the marinade so it is going to flare up as soon as you put it on the grill.
- Grill each side for approximately 4-6 minutes.
- Remove from grill and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.
- To Store & Reheat: Refrigerate cooled chicken in an airtight container and enjoy it within 2-3 days. Reheat it over medium-low or medium heat until it reaches 165°F, about 5-6 minutes per side.
- To Freeze: Wrap each cooled chicken breast in plastic wrap, then freeze them in a heavy-duty storage bag for up to 4 months. Thaw them out in the fridge before reheating.
- Serving Size: 1 chicken breast
- Calories: 347
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 116 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 4 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 40 g
- Cholesterol: 99 mg
Keywords: lime marinated chicken, chicken breast marinade, how to grill chicken
DON’T MISS A RECIPE ->