These vegan hot dogs are the best I’ve tried. Full of smoky, savory flavor, they’re perfect for summer cookouts and BBQs. Fire up the grill!
How adorable are these vegan hot dogs!?! If you’re looking for a really tasty, really fun recipe to make for a cookout or BBQ this summer, friends, this is it.
I love these vegan hot dogs because they are true veggie dogs. They’re not made with soy protein, pea protein, or any other ingredients that commonly appear on the labels of store-bought vegan hot dogs. Instead, they’re made with veggies! Carrots, specifically.
I know, it sounds crazy. How can a carrot taste like a hot dog? Well, with the right marinade and a few minutes on the grill, I assure you that this humble root veggie comes surprisingly close to the real thing. These carrot hot dogs are smoky and savory, with a nice juicy bite. Serve them on soft buns with lots of punchy fixings, and they’ll be a hit with vegans and meat eaters alike.
Carrot Hot Dogs Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make these carrot hot dogs:
- Carrots, of course! Look for ones that are short and fairly stout, similar in shape to a regular hot dog.
- Apple cider vinegar and tamari – The primary ingredients in the hot dog marinade. The apple cider vinegar makes it tangy and slightly sweet, while the tamari makes it deeply savory. Don’t have tamari? Regular soy sauce will work here too. Just note that you’ll need to use certified gluten-free tamari to make this recipe gluten-free.
- Smoked paprika – It adds smoky hot dog flavor to the marinade.
- And garlic powder – It gives the marinade a kick of umami.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Before you add the carrots to the marinade, you’ll peel and steam them until they’re fork-tender, but still slightly firm in the middle. Steaming the carrots only takes a few minutes, and it allows them to soak up the bold flavors of the marinade.
Once you steam the carrots, place them in a shallow dish with the marinade and then add water to cover. Chill them overnight. The next day, char them up on the grill, and serve. So easy!
Vegan Hot Dogs Serving Suggestions
I’ll be honest with you: While the taste and texture of these vegan hot dogs is uncannily like that of an actual one, in order for you to really feel like you’re not just eating a carrot, you’ll want to serve them with all the fixings. Here are a few combinations that I love:
- The Chicago vegan hot dog. Dress up this festive dog with tomato slices, mayo, mustard, sport peppers, and relish. If you want to go the extra mile, add chopped onions and a pickle spear and serve it on a poppyseed bun.
- The taco dog. Pile your carrot hot dog with pickled red onions, jalapeños, cilantro, and crumbled Cotija.
- The German-style vegan hot dog. Top it off with sauerkraut and a big squirt of mustard.
- The classic. You can’t go wrong with ketchup, mustard, and homemade relish.
What do you like to put on a vegan hot dog? Let me know in the comments!
Because these vegan hot dogs are a fairly light main, I like to serve them with a hearty side dish or two. Try pairing them with any of these substantial picnic salads:
Round out the meal with a fruit salad, potato chips, and some more grilled veggies. Enjoy!
More Vegan Grilling Recipes
If you love these carrot hot dogs, try one of these plant-based grilling recipes next:
Vegan Hot Dogs
These vegan carrot hot dogs are such a fun, meat-free grilling recipe! Smoky and savory, they’re perfect for summer cookouts and BBQs.
- 8 medium hot dog-sized carrots, 1½ pounds
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup tamari
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Water, as needed
- Avocado oil, for drizzling
- Hot dog buns, for serving
- Homemade relish, for serving
- Desired fixings
Peel the carrots and trim them to the size of your hot dog buns.
Place the carrots in a steamer basket and set over a pot filled with 1 inch of water. Bring the water to a simmer, cover, and steam for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the carrots are fork-tender but still a little firm in the middle.
Meanwhile, make the marinade. In a shallow container or baking dish, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, tamari, smoked paprika, and garlic powder. Add the steamed carrots and enough water to fully submerge the carrots in the marinade. Let cool to room temperature, then transfer to the fridge to marinate overnight.
Grill the carrot hot dogs. Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Remove the carrots from the marinade and pat dry. Drizzle with avocado oil and grill for 5 to 7 minutes, or until well-charred, turning as grill marks form on each side.
Remove from the grill and serve in buns with homemade relish and your desired fixings.